Electric adapters and voltage converters  in China

Before traveling to China, don't forget to pack your plug adapters and voltage converters.

In Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau, the power voltage is 220 Volt 50 Hz AC, but in Taiwan, electronic devices are working at voltage of 110V/60HZ.

Most North American countries use 110V electricity, while China uses 220V electricity, and if you try to plug an an appliance in using just a plug adapter, you'll ruin your appliance and might destroy the socket and cause an electrical short. Voltage converters and voltage transformers "step down" electricity to 110V, so your appliances will run properly. You'll want to check how many watts your converter or transformer can handle: It's best to buy a converter or transformer that can handle at least 25 percent more wattage than the appliances you plan to use. Not all appliances will need a voltage converter (see Extra Tips below).
Converter or Transformer

Most travelers to China will probably need only a voltage converter, a small box that uses a plug adapter to plug into the socket. A voltage converter is useful for small appliances like a hair dryer, electric toothbrush or an alarm clock. A dual-wattage voltage converter can switch from 50 watts (for non-heat producing appliances, like a clock) to 1,600 watts (for hair dryers or irons). It's not a good idea to use complex electronics on the 1,600 watt setting, though, as this will eventually burn out both the appliance and the converter. If you're planning to bring a large appliance that will use electricity for long periods, such as a television, you'll need a voltage transformer.
Plug Adapters

Power Sockets and plug are Used in China?

China has three types of plug. The most common type of plug is similar to an American two-pronged plug, but the Chinese plug has shorter prongs without the holes found in American plugs, so you'll still need to use an adapter because the American plugs will be too large for the sockets. Australian engineers brought the Australian three-pin plug to China; this "Type I" plug has three flat prongs, with the top two diagonally slanted toward each other. British "Type G" plugs, with three rectangular prongs, are also found.


Extra Tips

You might make sure you have everything you need before you leave, but it will be cheaper to buy plug adapters at a shop in China. Your hotel also might provide adapters. If you're bringing your laptop to China, you don't not need to use a voltage converter because many laptops are designed to handle  the voltage of 220V.  If you're staying in a 4~5 star or luxury hotel, your room will already have 110V converter plugs built in.





1000 Characters left